By now, I had collected most of the new parts I would need to put the Taunus back to A1 mechanical condition. I had piles of boxes and parts sourced from all over Europe, and some surprising finds from here in the UK. The oily bits were first on the list. New strut inserts, flexi-hoses, brake pads and caliper service kits fitted. Along with new wheel bearings front and rear. New suspension bushes were fitted here and there, along with new rear shock absorbers. The rear brakes were renewed, the rear drums and front discs were lightly skimmed true at work on the lathe.
At times, it seemed endless... Replacing almost all of the worn parts, in all weathers! I had been lucky with some eBay purchases. I had new door handles, mirrors both sides, Ford scripts and boot badges, along with parts of a mechanical nature. I had a vision for the XL from day 1. Visually a little different, and a one-off, but easily reverted back to standard if so wished. For some months I had bid on 2 NOS RS Grilles, and lost out on both! So I made my own replicas from Stainless Steel, with TC1 GXL spotlights.
The rear exhaust box had blown, so I bought a new one and converted it to 26m spec with twin pipes.
And lastly, the most difficult modification. Changing the existing 13" steel standard wheels to, what I ended up with after trial and error, 16" wire wheels. More of a British thing I suppose and one that at the time amused some of our European Taunus fans.
I mocked up at first with 15" MGC wire wheels and then after some deliberation and calculations opted for 16" x 5 1/2" wire wheels with 60 section tyres. Having found a set of 16" wires, I had these blasted and powder coated in "chrome look" paint. Shod with new inner tubes and Continental Tyres, all good so far. Then I purchased four new MGC wire wheel adaptor hubs and popped them on the lathe, machining the centres out to suit the Taunus. Then I redrilled the 5 x 112mm PCD.
During the work, other Taunus owners were sceptical, but they then warmed to the idea. I think?.. It's probably the first Taunus ever to be converted in such a way, I believe. And done in such a way that the original wheels can be refited inside an hour. The same is true of the handmade grille, easily changed back to standard, if needed.
The engine required little work, just a clean up and service. The 2.0L V6, is very different to its UK counterpart, the 2.0L OHC.
By this time I had the end in sight. New headlight reflectors fitted to the headlamps, the refurbished front indicators fitted with new lenses. Bumpers fitted, and with NOS rear light units. New door handles, window rubbers, and correct door mirrors making the Taunus complete visually.
The interior was in excellent condition when removed and needed simple deep cleaning. However, the tricky to repair upper XL veneer wood cappings were well past their best, so some strip wood was bought, shaped, dyed and lacquered to suit. With pleasing results matching the quality interior.